Re: [STDS-802-11-AANI] [Material uploaded] RE: 802.11 AANI SC Teleconference 20-11-17 @11:00 EST Reminder and Agenda

Roger, all

There are two questions in Roger’s email below:

  1. “… exactly what you are proposing in terms of contributions to WP5D: what would be contributed, and when”
  2. what is the long-term strategy? (a) get to Step 6 but not qualify for IMT-2020? (b) document that 802.11 can meet all five environments? (c) join with other technologies in a SRIT? (d) other?

Answer to question (1):

  • I am proposing to submit 802.11 as a candidate RIT for IMT-2020 through required documents in accordance with the format and guidelines specified by ITU-R/WP5D (Doc. 5/56).
  • By when? I suggest that we follow the schedule recommended by the ITU-R/WP 5D. (Doc. IMT-2020/2(Rev.1) , IMT-2020 Anticipated Schedule).

Answer to question (2):

  • Option (d) other:
    • i.e. Go all the way (Step 9)! i.e. get 802.11 endorsed as IMT-2020 technology (step 8) and get it implemented (step 9) (see slides #5 and #7 in my presentation from Monday (11-17/1814r0))
    • There is a substantial support to move in this direction. Let us keep up the momentum!
    • Imagine – 802.11 is a 5G technology!
  • This will indeed involve documenting, with analysis/simulations, that 802.11 meets the minimum requirements for 5 environments. Please keep in mind that there are multiple configurations per environment and we only have to meet one configuration per enviroment. We can discuss this further in the next CC

Let me lay out the thoughts in actionable steps:

  • Unless otherwise proven (unambiguously), let’s follow the WP5D-recommended schedule (is an officially agreed document by the ITU-R/WP5D). It is indeed clear that we can keep making updates until June 2019.
  • Let’s make our proposal available to the reviewers/evaluation groups by WP 5D meeting #29 (Jan 31. Submission deadline: Jan 24).
  • Be prepared (not fear) that the first reaction of the external bodies is likely to be that of “dismissing the ability of 802.11” to meet the requirements. We have a lot of socializing to do. The first step would be to not be a delinquent on the deadlines.
  • Either on the 11/27 CC or the 12/4 CC, I am planning to make a presentation elaborating my thoughts on the requirements, hoping to alleviate some of the concerns on “how we will meet the requirements”. If indeed we have until June 2019 to build up the final proposal, we will solve things, one step at a time.

Therefore, and especially given the “holiday season” atmosphere, let’s focus on the work that we have been mandated to do:

  • Let’s get the draft documents ready (Characteristic Template (11-17-1812) and Compliance Template (11-17-1813)).
    • The 1st step is already done. The skeleton for these templates are available (links above).
    • The 2nd step has been laid out by the chair. Please respond to the Chair’s email with sections that you would like to contribute to.
    • In completing the template, we will also get an idea about the confidence level in meeting the IMT-2020 requirements.

In the January meeting:

  • On the administrative front:
    • Discuss how to “throw our hat in the ring”
      • How to announce that 802 will be submitting a proposal
      • What the proposal format should be and to what level of detail should it cover
      • and what would be a suitable presentation to be made in the WP5D meetings 29, 30 and so on.
  • On the actual submission front:
    • Perform a “gap analysis” of what 802.11, as captured in the template, can meet vs. the requirements
    • Discuss how to meet the gaps and create the next set of work item chunks until the next meeting(s).

Hope this answers the questions to some extent. We can discuss further in the conf. calls.

Thanks and Kind regards

Rakesh