Re: [STDS-802-11-AANI] How to Progress the Work on the Technical Report on Interworking?

Posted by Joseph Levy for: Gupta, Binita <binita.gupta@xxxxxxxxx

If you wish to ensure that Binita Gupta receives your response to this email, please be sure to include her email in the "to" or "cc" of your email:  binita.gupta@xxxxxxxxx

From: Gupta, Binita
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 11:25 PM
Subject: RE: RE: [STDS-802-11-AANI] How to Progress the Work on the Technical Report on Interworking?

Hi Hyun,

Thank you for your follow-up.

Here is some more clarification on the 5G and WLAN interworking. On a dual radio device with both cellular and Wi-Fi radio capabilities (as shown by reference models in the draft report), the connectivity and data transfer with the 5G Core over Wi-Fi access needs to get established from the UE side. WLAN STA cannot replicate 3GPP protocol stack and functionality on such a device, it will not work. UE registration/authentication needs to be initiated from the 3GPP domain for successful authentication and for data transport to happen over both accesses via ATSSS. There is still loose coupling in this case on the terminal device between UE and STA – the UE is using WLAN access for transport of 5G signaling and data without requiring any tight integration between the two. Please refer to sections in 3GPP specs TS 23.501 and TS 23.502 for integration of WLAN access.

There is also the case of Wi-Fi only devices, which do not support cellular radio (our first comment was on that), a case which is not captured in the draft report. Such devices can be either upgraded to support NAS messaging and NWu/NWt interfaces over Wi-Fi to connect to 5G core via N3IWF/TNGF gateway functions, or if Wi-Fi only devices cannot be upgraded to support NAS messaging (e.g. legacy devices - such devices are called Non 5G Capable over WLAN (N5CW devices) in 3GPP), then these devices can interwork with 5G Core via TWIF (Trusted WLAN Interworking Function) gateway function as defined in 3GPP spec TS 23.501.

Also, using terminology like tight coupling and loose coupling is confusing and misleading as it does not align with the 5G and WLAN interworking model defined in 3GPP.

Overall, given the significant extent of our comments on this draft report, internally we will need to figure out our best way forward on this effort.

Thanks,

Binita