Re: [STDS-802-11-ARC] Updated 11-15/540 (clause 5 figures and text changes)

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 ARC Reflector ---

Mark,

Sorry I won't be there ... this is getting really interesting.   In your list of questions, you asked:

·        " Note the location of the MAC SAP (designed with “(M)” in the figure).  It is well below the “top of the 802.11 stack.”  But, also note that above it is only “switching/filtering” type operations, that don’t change the service provided.  Is this acceptable/agreed?"

I'm confused. Much of the text and several of the figures go to great lengths to point out that APs do NOT have a MAC SAP, and I believe we are all in agreement on that point.  However, the first two figures apparently apply to APs as well as non-AP STAs by inserting the approprait "role specific behavior" in the box labeled as such.  This implies that APs have a MAC SAP.

Also, text on page 6 reads " Consider the upper layers that are resident on the device we colloquially call an “AP” (the management interface, for example).  "  Is the management entity really an "upper layer".  I think not.  It is "off to the side".  In particular, one would not issue an MA-UNITDATA.indication to the LLC sublayer on receipt of a management or control frame ... because it's not a data frame. The MAC sublayer is part of the data plane, and above it is the LLC sublayer, not a management entity/service.  Shouldn't we be careful about this distinction?

RR