Re: [STDS-802-11-ARC] Plan for REVmc motion: Making DS-DSP normative (moving Annex R into the main body)

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 ARC Reflector ---

Hi Mark and All,

Overall, I agree that the current proposed changes should be incorporated into REVmc and that it will enhance the 802.11 standard to make these  changes.  So I support this document.

I do however have two questions related to the proposed Figure R-1:

1.       Why are two APs included in the figure? It seems to me that one would be adequate to define where the DS SAP is on the AP.  (Though the old diagram did have ellipsis between the two APs and the two mesh gates to show that numerous APs and mesh gates could be connected to the DS. But, I think this is clear from other architecture diagrams.)

2.       Why is there no mesh STA (non-Mesh Gate STA) in the figure? The figure clearly shows that non-AP STAs do not have DS SAPs, but the same is not shown for mesh STAs.  Should we add a mesh STA to the DS architecture diagram?

Also I am concerned that there may be references in the specification outside of sections 3 and 4 that will need to be updated.  For example:

1.       in 5.1.5.1 the following text is present:

During reception, a received Data frame goes through processes of possible A-MPDU deaggregation,

MPDU header and cyclic redundancy code (CRC) validation, duplicate removal, possible reordering if the

block ack mechanism is used, decryption, defragmentation, integrity checking, and replay detection. After

replay detection (or defragmentation if security is not used), possible A-MSDU deaggregation, and possible

MSDU rate limiting, one or more MSDUs are, delivered to the MAC SAP or to the DS.”
Given the new DSAF definition, I think the above should read:  “…. delivered to the MAC SAP or to the DSAF.”

2.       The switching function as described in 5.1.5.3 AP role and 5.1.5.5 Mesh gate role, should probably be updated so that it is a function of the DSAF.

3.        In 8.2.4.1.4 To DS and From DS fields, the meaning of the To DS/From DS values are described: “A Data frame destined for the DS or being sent by a STA associated with an AP to the Port Access Entity in that AP.”  Given the new DSAF definition it should probably read: “…. with an AP to the DSAF.”

There are probably more places that need to be updated, but I haven’t’ done complete search.

Do people agree that these type of corrections/enhancements should be made?

Regards,

Joseph