From: *** 802.11 TGba - WUR- Wake-up Radio Operation *** [mailto:STDS-802-11-TGBA@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kasslin, Mika (Nokia - FI/Espoo)
Sent: Thursday, July 5, 2018 3:44 AM
To: STDS-802-11-TGBA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBA] Updated WUR architecture and state machines uploaded

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for the excellent proposals which I believe will help the TGba a lot in its efforts to integrate the WUR into the 802.11 model.

I do have a few comments and questions on the state diagram proposal which in general looks really good and I hope you can consider them when discussing the proposal and the topic in San Diego next week. Unfortunately, I won’t make the meeting but hopefully these few thoughts are helpful and if needed, we can use the reflector to discuss the matter in more details.

First, I wonder why the state of the WUR receiver plays any role in the transitions to one of the “more active states/modes” if the transition is due to a frame transmitted by the STA with its PCR. Why a STA may not, as an example, suspend the WUR Mode when it’s in the WURx Doze state? Similarly, I wonder why a STA needs to be in the WURx Awake state, i.e. have the WUR receiver active, to transmit an 802.11 frame with the PM set to ‘0’ to exit the Power Save mode. Shouldn’t a STA be able to do that in both the WURx states?

On the other hand, I have been under impression that a STA that is in the PS Mode and that has the WUR Mode established in duty cycled manner runs the WUR receiver up and down based on the TSF and the duty cycle parameters. I have thought that the end state within the WUR Mode states (WURx Doze, WURx Awake) when transitioning to the WUR Mode states depends on the timing of the transition. Thus, a STA wouldn’t need to always start with in the WURx Awake state when taking the WUR in use, but the state would depend on the timing of the transition and the duty cycled WUR operation.

All these are quite tiny issues in my mind and don’t really change too much anything at the end, but I would like to see if we could further simplify the rules and make the system as simple as possible. Separating the duty cycled operation of the WUR from this diagram as much as possible is in my mind worth of a try.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Mika