[STDS-802-11-CAC] A proposal to permit motions on WG11 Task Group teleconferences

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 Chairs' Advisory Committee Reflector ---

Dear CAC members,

A reminder that our next CAC call is this coming Monday, May 4th at noon Eastern.
At Monday’s meeting, I would like to get your input on the following proposal.
I believe that this proposal offers a reasonable and needed means to progress the technical work in our TGs.

Thanks very much,

Dorothy

=======================
Objective: Enable Motions on WG11 Task Group teleconference calls

The current rules status is as follows:

a)      There is no prohibition to Task Group teleconference motions in the 802, 802 WG P&P documents.

b)      In our WG P&P (see 3.11 in https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/14/11-14-0629-22-0000-802-11-operations-manual.docx ), Task Group motions are taken during an 802.11 session, and all 802.11 voters present at the meeting constitute the allowed voters.

c)      Motions on teleconferences except under the accelerated process are prohibited, see 8.2 in 11-14-629r22:
“WG (and subgroup) teleconferences are not permitted to make formal motions, with the exception of when a TG is operating under the accelerated process and when it is a sponsor ballot comment resolution committee (CRC).”

d)      The WG chair determines process, subject to WG ability to overrule.

Proposal:

I propose the following to be effective immediately, for the duration of time until WG11 is not able to hold face-to-face meetings:

“TG motions may be held during Electronic TG meetings.
Electronic TG meetings that will consider motions shall be approved by the WG Chair, and if approved, announced to the TG and WG11 reflectors 10 days prior to the meeting.
If a motion is not approved by unanimous consent, it shall be taken as a roll call [recorded] vote. “

==================================

Comments:

1.      Portions of this proposal are similar to the process that 802.3 has been using, see 3.4.2 in http://ieee802.org/3/rules/P802_3_rules.pdf, which applies to drafts that are substantially complete, i.e. accelerated process.
I propose to apply this to TG activities prior to the “substantially complete” phase.

a.      ”Electronic meetings shall only consider motions to progress a draft and only when balloting is substantially complete. Electronic meetings that will consider motions shall be approved by the WG Chair prior to the meeting announcement.”

2.      If successful, this mechanism for TG teleconference motions can be made permanent (via WG motion to amend the WG11 Operations Manual).

Dorothy Stanley

Hewlett Packard Enterprise

dorothy.stanley@xxxxxxx

+1 630-363-1389