[STDS-802-11-REG] 5 GHz Bands NPRM

FYI… The FCC Chairman announced today that the February 20th open meeting will introduce the NPRM we have been waiting for, and it is more than I expected.  He announced that 195 MHz of additional spectrum would be opened as part of this Notice of Proposed Rule Making, meaning that both the 5350 to 5470 and 5850 to 5925 MHz bands would be made available.  It will also contain the requirements for Terminal Doppler Weather Radar (TDWR) interference mitigation, reopening the 5600 to 5650 MHz band.

Here are two articles about Genachowski’s announcement:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/01/fccs-genachowski-govt-will-open-up-radio-spectrum-to-improve-wi-fi/

 http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2013/01/09/ces-live-from-las-vegas-fcc-chair-julius-genachowski/

Rich Kennedy

Standards Manager

Research In Motion Corporation

mobile: +1 (972) 207-3554

office: +1 (972) 910-3448

rikennedy@xxxxxxx

IEEE 802.11 TGaf Chair

IEEE 802.11 to 802.18 Liaison

IEEE 802.11 Regulatory Standing Committee Chair

Wi-Fi Alliance Spectrum & Regulatory Task Group Chair

"Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill

Instead, go to http://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=STDS-802-11-REG and then press the LEAVE button.