Re: [STDS-802-11-REG] 802.11 spectrum organizing principles

Hi Ron and others,

Based on Ron's request during discussion today in the REG SC meeting in AM2 slot,
here are suggested rewordings for the comments I made in the meeting:

1.Change Page 2 text FROM:
" 802.11 RECOMMENDS THE COMMISSION  ALLOCATE A MINIMUM OF THREE 6MHz CHANNELS
ON A NATIONAL BASIS WITH POWER LIMITS ON-PAR WITH CURRENT FCC TVWS REGULATION

20 years of engineering analysis and deployment experience with 802.11 in the 2.4 GHz band
confirms that a minimum of three channels is required for successful WLAN deployments. "

 TO:
"802.11 RECOMMENDS THE COMMISSION  RESERVE FOR TVWS A MINIMUM OF 18MHz OF USEABLE SPECTRUM
IN ALL LOCATIONS, WITH POWER LIMITS ON-PAR WITH CURRENT FCC TVWS REGULATION

20 years of engineering analysis and deployment experience with 802.11 in the 2.4 GHz band
indicates that a minimum of three channels is adequate for successful WLAN deployments.  The
18 MHz of TVWS in this recommendation is equivalent to three TV channels but may include discontinuous
spectrum pieces with minimum useable BW of 1.5MHz.  Per current regulations, the frequencies
of this reserved 18MHz TVWS spectrum may vary from city to city and is dynamically controlled by regulatory
geolocation database to protect primary users.  Furthermore, 802.11 recommends that any auctioned
TV spectrum which is unused by the new licensee be treated as TVWS spectrum, with the regulatory geolocation
database providing protection for the licensed primary users."

NOTE:  Since we are drafting this recommendation to represent all of 802.11, I suggest that
we acknowledge that low-power, low-bandwidth, and low-duty cycle Smart Grid devices will be using
TVWS.  This includes using channel bandwidths less than 6MHz.  802.11ah is defining WLAN 1.5MHz
channels and therefore I suggest we accommodate this as a minimum channel bandwidth in our recommendation.

Comments and discussion may continue on this reflector and in the upcoming 802.11 REG SC meetings and
teleconferences.

Best regards,
Joe Kwak
Wireless Standards Consultant for InterDigital