[STDS-802-11-TGAC] Suite B related features in 802.11ac

G’day all

There were at least three comments in the LB on 802.11ac D4.0 that suggested that security features (eg GCMP-256) be added to 802.11ac, which would enable support for Suite B and similar security features. Dan Harkins (Aruba) and I have been anointed as the “assignees” for these comments.

We would like to ensure that all views about the proposed resolution (the inclusion of 711r2) are understood and resolved before the January meeting in Vancouver. So far we have heard a number of concerns:

·         There is a fear that these features will be mandatory. This fear is unfounded in at least the short to medium term. The proposed amendment is very clear that these features are optional. We expect they will always be optional in the standard. Of course, in the long term it is possible that they may become mandatory in practice as a result of market demand.

·         There is a fear that these features will be included in the first certification of 802.11ac in the WFA. I can’t say too much about the activities of the WFA, except to say that I believe such a scenario has zero probability.

·         There have been questions about the market for these features. It will be focused on government and military applications in the short term. However, it could expand to other markets in time, including healthcare, smartgrid and the enterprise.

The group advocating the inclusion of these features have spoken to a number of people about their concerns, and I believe those concerns have mostly been allayed, at least to the point where those people are no longer against the inclusion of these features. A number of conversations are on-going.

If anyone has particular objections to accepting the comments on D4.0 that suggest the inclusion of Suite-B supporting features then could you please contact Dan and myself with your concerns. We will attempt to work with you to ensure you have all the information necessary to enable you to vote “yes” or “abstain” in January.

Andrew Myles