Re: [STDS-802-11-TGAC] 802.11ac Mandatory Draft Review

My understanding is that in IEEE (as well as ISO and CEN), "may" can be replaced with "may not" without any effect in the standard's conformance requirements and is therefore informative only.  Changing from "can" to "may" can be done with little effect other than to indicate permission rather than possibility as indicated below.

RR

From: *** 802.11 TGac - VHT below 6GHz*** [mailto:STDS-802-11-TGAC@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Edward Reuss
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2013 7:27 AM
To: STDS-802-11-TGAC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11-TGAC] 802.11ac Mandatory Draft Review

Hi Adrian:

In section 2.3 on page 13 of this document you quote the new text of Note 2 of 310.5 with the word "modulation" misspelled as "modulatin". I hope that this error did not propagate into your draft of the 11ac document itself. If so, then that should be corrected.

In section 5.1.2 of this document to the note of 186.59, the recommendation is to change "can" to "may" in this note to properly indicate permission, rather than possibility. Some SDOs specify "may" as normative conformance language, and so it's use in an informative text, such as in a note, is inappropriate. If we need to indicate permission, then it properly belongs in normative text, rather than in a note. (NOTE: I don't recall if the IEEE specifies "may" as normative conformance language or not, and at 10:30 on a Friday night I'm too lazy to look it up for myself).

-- Ed Reuss