Re: [STDS-802-11-TGAQ] comments and suggested editorial changes on 11-17/521r4

Hi Dan,

This really comes down to different perceptions of that sentence. I doubt anyone would use the transactional exchanges as an excuse for not randomizing the MAC address. It would be much easier to just set the variable to false. :-)

Nor do I have the intention to negate the meaning of the variable for sure. If the variable is true, the STA is set out to do so. I just think the exception should be made clear. I wonder if you would be Ok with any of the following two options as a way forward:

Option 1. “When dot11MACPrivacyActivated is true, a non-AP STA shall periodically change its MAC address to a random value. However, the non-AP STA shall defer changing it MAC address during a transactional exchange. Examples of transactional exchange include transmitting and receiving public action frames for pre-association discovery.”

Option 2. “When dot11MACPrivacyActivated is true, a non-AP STA shall periodically change its MAC address to a random value. However, the non-AP STA shall use a same MAC address during a transactional exchange. Examples of transactional exchange include transmitting and receiving public action frames for pre-association discovery.”

Thanks,

Yunsong Yang

Huawei Device USA Inc.

10180 Telesis Court, STE 165