发件人: yfang@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:yfang@xxxxxxxxx]
发送时间: 2020724 12:33
收件人: huangguogang <huangguogang1@xxxxxxxxxx>
抄送: STDS-802-11-TGBE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
主题: Re:[STDS-802-11-TGBE] Discussion on 834r6 Tentative (Re)Association under MLD framework

Hi Guogang , and all:

Thanks for the presentation and initiating the email discussion.

As I said in the meeting, make-before-break is an interesting topic and a valid use case, especially for MLO in the roaming case.

The issues are

1)    In the current ML operation model, the association is in MLD level between a non-AP MLD and an AP MLD . Tentative (Re)Association may involve two AP MLDs .

[Guogang Huang] Yes, I agree that the association is in MLD level between a non-AP MLD and an AP MLD. And I also agree that  the non-AP MLD only can associate with only one AP MLD. The reason is that DS needs to determine a unique answer to the question, “Which AP is serving STA X?”. In the 11 Spec., the DS-STA_Notify.request primitive is used to provide this unique answer. In our proposed tentative association, before new AP MLD sending DS-STA_Notify.request primitive, the non-AP MLD still associate with the old AP MLD. Only when new AP MLD sending DS-STA_Notify.request primitive to DS, then the  non-AP MLD will completely associate with the new AP MLD. Though non-AP MLD and AP MLD successfully exchange Association Request/Response between with Status Code Success, it doesn’t mean that the non-AP MLD have associate with the AP MLD completely. Only after new AP sending DS-STA_Notify.request primitive to DS to update the routing info, the association is completely finished. As long as the answer to “Which AP is serving STA X?” is unique, the corresponding association relationship is unique.

2)    In 11be, there is another feature in development, i.e. multi-AP.  We needs to consider that AP MLD could be the "AP" in multi-AP in the future, i.e. forming a multi-AP MLD network.

[Guogang Huang] What you mean is non-collated MLD, right? The proposed scheme doesn’t need to setup a non-collocated AP MLD.

Therefore from the ML architecture reference model, it is better to consider AP MLD and multi-AP together, and this use case could be addressed naturally.

Best Regards

Yonggang Fang

ZTE (TX)