Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] TGmd CIDs 1056, and 1057.. REJECT

I take no position for now on the proposals made in 18/0867r0, but I do

agree with CID 1057 that the way in which the password identifier is to

be used is unclear.  Looking at the draft I can only find (beyond frame

formats and making sure the password identifier is present when

needed etc.):

The Password identifier element contains a string used to look up a password.

When a "password identifier" is called for in the description of SAE that follows, the identifier from the

dot11RSNConfigPasswordValueTable is used.

This variable is a UTF-8 string that an implementation uses to uniquely

identify a password to support provisioning multiple passwords for

a single PeerMac."

18/0202r3 doesn't really shed any more light on the nature of the

password identifier.  However, the implication of the brief discussion

might be that the password identifier might be something like

"Bob's phone".  In that case the privacy concern expressed in CID 1056

would have merit.

Thanks,

Mark

Note: Pursuant to the notice at the end of this email, this email

is addressed to everyone involved in 802.11 work, and does

not contain protected information.  Full dissemination,

distribution, copying and use is authorised.

--

Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français

Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600

Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS      Fax: +44 1223  434601

ROYAUME UNI                             WWW: http://www.samsung.com/uk