Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] 11md/D3.0 CID 4286

Adding the reflector and Dan back on the chain.

I took an action to work with Jouni and Mark to come up with a resolution for this comment. At this point, we have not been able to agree on a mutually acceptable resolution.

We went through the proposed changes suggested by the commenter and have not been able to agree that the changes are any better than the existing text.

I was proposing that we reject the comment with the following  resolution:

Rejected. With the definition of  "IEEE 802.1X authentication" with wording that makes it clear that it refers to the case of IEEE 802.1X being used with EAP (and not the newer PSK option),  the current standard is unambiguous. It is useful to reference "EAP authentication" whenever talking about MSK (that is a key coming from EAP, not 802.1X; 802.1X state machine is simply providing access to fetching it; this includes the cases like "key is received .. from the EAP authentication" that does not explicitly use MSK, but is referring to it). Similarly, "full EAP authentication" is a significantly more accurate term than "full 802.1X authentication". "EAP authentication session timeout" feels more appropriate as well. "Successful completion of EAP authentication over IEEE Std 802.1X establishes a PMKSA" could, in theory, be "Successful completion of IEEE 802.1X authentication establishes a PMKSA" since this skips the MSK to the PMK detail, but it is still correct to talk about EAP authentication here and "successful EAP authentication" is clearly defined in the EAP RFC while "Successful completion of IEEE 802.1X authentication" is not that clearly defined.  The current language is more appropriate than the proposed changes at most locations and correct in all locations.

The email thread that captures the discussion is shown on the thread below. I believe this CID is on the agenda for tomorrow's call where we can discuss how to resolve the comment.

Cheers,

Mike