[STDS-802-11-TGM] QoS Discussion (11-20/0814)

Hello All,

This e.mail is to continue the discussion on the 802.11 QoS issues considered during the REVmd teleconference on Wednesday July 22. In the context of comment resolution submission 11-20/0814 raises two issues:

1.       The term “Traffic Category (TC)” seems to be a redundant term and can be deleted and replaced by the “user priority (UP)” which is the main parameter used for mapping to EDCA access categories as given in Table 10.1. As far as I can tell the TC term doesn’t play a role in any QoS function and there is no need to add a redundant intermediate parameter. It’d be good if anyone remembers why the TC was introduced by 802.11e and what it is used for. I also pointed out that the term TC doesn’t exist in 802.1Q and 802.1D where the concept UP was borrowed. If the interest is in UP there is no need to give it another name.

2.       The second issue is related to table 9-12 (TID subfield). The EDCA entry of the table have the statement in the Usage column (UP for either TC or TS, regardless of whether admission control is required). I am questioning how UP is applicable to TS and where a TS UP is indicated. The TID field indicates either the UP or the TSID and not both of them. If there is a TS then all frames belonging to this TS need to have TSID indication in the TID field and UP is not applicable. It seems this statement is really confused and confusing. I need to know how EDCA is applicable to TS that are managed using HCCA. During the discussion there was the statement which I copied from the chat window “[V] Mark Hamilton Ruckus/CommScope17:25 TSIDs in the range 8-15 can be associated with EDCA traffic, and that traffic still needs a UP (which needs to be between 0-7)” which again confuses me. How TSID in the range 8-15 can be associated with EDCA and what would be the mapping to access categories in this case. The spec (Table 10.1) only specifies the mapping between TID value 0-7 (i.e. UP) to access categories.

Regards;

Osama.