Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] Proposed resolutions for CIDs on 802.1D withdrawal

Thanks, Mike.  And, thanks to all, this is good work, and I know it’s detailed and painful.  I apologize that it took me so long to do a detailed review!  I do have some comments:

Minor suggestion for CID 52, would you be willing to change the resolution to “REVISED.  Replace "IEEE Std 802.1Qbz(TM)-2016 [B20]" with "IEEE Std 802.1Q" at P256.58 (as proposed) and also at P258.30.”?  (There is another 802.1Qbz that just got missed.)

For CID 56, I disagree that we can just call the classifier parameters “802.1Q VLAN TCI”.  The point of Type 5 is to be more explicit about the 802.1Q fields (“parameters”), so they can be individually masked off (that – and the revision change on 802.1Q - is the difference between Type 5 versus Type 2).  For Type 5I think we should continue to say the contents are “802.1Q parameters” (just delete the “D/”).  A nit on the Type 2 row, should we say “802.1Q-2003 parameters (deprecated)”, just to be very clear that this is also referencing that old revision?

CID 57: I think the Proposed Change is missing how Type 5 classification is intended to work.  The parameters apply to the MSDU payload (i.e. upper-layer protocol) elements.  If 802.11 parameters (like UP) are desired, then Types 6-9 can be used (and combined with Type 5 if/as appropriate).  So, there is no application of this (that I can see) to an 802.1Q untagged frame.  I think we should only use the second sentence in the Proposed Change (“For Classifier Type 5 when used to match an IEEE 802.1Q tagged frame, the classifier parameters are: Priority Code Point, Drop Eligibility Indicator (DEI), and VLAN ID (VID).").  Along these lines, we could consider changing the Table 9-164 row for Type 5 to “IEEE 802.1Q tagged frame parameters”, but I’m not wedded to that.

Following from that comment on CID 57, CIDs 63 and 65 would be changed to just delete the existing sentences talking about 802.1D frame header matching.

Minor nit on CIDs 58 and 61 – you can’t actually use “See CID 59” as the resolution, of course…  Minor nit on CID 59: the proposal in the Ad-hoc notes is duplicated.

CID 67: I’m good with the direction.  I’m wondering about how this compares to the resolution to CID 55, though, in that CID 55 (and all of the existing 5.1.1.2) seems to only define what a “UP” is, and not a “User Priority”.  Why spell it out here, and not in 5.1.1.2?   (In general, we need to be careful about where we’ve said “user priority” and ensure we meant the new 802.11 UP – I suspect they are all fine, but it could be confusing w.r.t. our “rule” to only use the acronym after the first occurrence, and why is it spelled out in some places (unless it is specifically a SAP parameter or field name).)

CID 68: Switching to using 802.1Q’s traffic type acronyms raises two problems.  1) It will make the reader confused (again) that 802.1Q defines these acronyms as meaning the priorities defined there (which have the wrong order from our UPs); 2) the designation “CL” doesn’t exist in 802.1Q.  I suggest we just delete this (third) column, as it really adds nothing at this point.

CID 69: We are generally trying to be compatible with 802.1AC behavior (which can be used by 802.1Q, but that is an additional layer of usage).  I think we should change 802.1D to 802.1AC here.

Again, thanks for the hard work on this!

Mark