[STDS-802-11-TGM] document 11-21/0816

  Hi,

  In today's teleconference we reviewed document 11-21/0816. The submission suggests adding a reference to one of Mathy Vanhoef's papers. While a USENIX site is better than a personal website, for stability purposes, I still question whether we need such a reference.

  I think we just need to provide a technical explanation for what we're doing (e.g. if we're adding "magic numbers" like AA-AA-03" to check against we need to explain the significance of that number and not rely on any magic) but we don't need to refer to analysis of previous versions of the standard that compelled some text in the current version. I don't believe we have done that before with other security-related fixes and I don't think it's a good precedent to start. If we need more text to explain the rationale behind the change then let's add that instead.

  regards,

  Dan.

--

"the object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to

escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." – Marcus Aurelius