Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] Question on Supported Channels [sub]element, in REVme today (CID 4151)

Thanks for the research, Mark.

> Thus, I think the comment is correct in that Supported Channels subelement should be included in the sentence at (REVme D4.0) P2501.35, which currently only references a Supported Channels element.  However, the comment suggests _replacing_ “Supported Channels element” with “Supported Channels subelement”.  I think that is incorrect, as non-EDMG APs and PCPs (and EDMG APs and PCPs, too, for that matter) may receive such information in Supported Channels elements (not subelements) in an Association Request.

When you say "non-EDMG APs" do you mean DMG APs (with the current wacky

definition of "non-EDMG"), or do you mean any AP that is not an EDMG AP?

Note 2501.35 is in (my emphasis):

11.8.8.6 Selecting and advertising a new channel in a DMG BSS

The decision to switch to a new operating channel in a DMG BSS shall be made only by an AP or PCP. An AP

or PCP may make use of the information in received Supported Channels(#3510) elements and the results of

measurements undertaken by the AP or PCP and other STAs in the BSS to assist the selection of the new

channel. The algorithm to choose a new channel is beyond the scope of this standard.

The rules for non-DMG APs are in

11.8.8.2 Selecting and advertising a new channel in a non-DMG infrastructure BSS

So your reference does not apply to all APs that are not EDMG APs.

At most, it applies to DMG APs that are not EDMG APs.  However, are

we sure such APs (potentially) use both Supported Channels elements

and Supported Channels subelements?

Note for instance that the definition of the elements includes:

The First Channel Number field is set to the first channel (as defined in 17.3.8.4.3 (Channelization)) in a

subband of supported channels.

which cannot apply to DMG since the channelisation is completely

different.

I do grant you that (Re)Assoc Req does not have anything prohibiting

a Supported Channels element for a DMG STA (ditto for various TDLS

frames and mesh frames, but I can't remember whether DMG can be used

with TDLS or mesh).  I also see:

11.8.2.2 Providing supported channels upon association in a DMG BSS

An AP or PCP may advertise the regulatory domain in which it is located via a Country element in the DMG

Beacon, Announce, or Information Response frames if dot11MultiDomainCapabilityActivated is true.

When it (re)associates, the STA shall provide to the AP or PCP a list of channels in which the STA can operate.

The STA does this by including a Supported Channels element in the Information Request or (Re)Association

Request frames that it transmits. An AP or PCP can use the supported channels list for associated STAs as an

input into an algorithm used to select a new channel for the BSS. The specification of this algorithm is beyond

the scope of this standard.

but also:

11.9.3.2 Selecting and advertising a new channel in an infrastructure BSS

The decision to switch to a new operating channel and/or operating class in an infrastructure BSS is made by

the AP when dot11DSERequired is false. An AP may make use of the information in the Supported Channels

element, Supported Operating Classes element, and the results of measurements undertaken by the AP and

other STAs in the BSS to assist the selection of the new channel and/or operating class. A method to make the

decision and to select a new channel is defined in 11.8.8.2 (Selecting and advertising a new channel in a non-

DMG infrastructure BSS).

In summary, I'm still not sure!  Maybe we need to both add "or subelements"

and extend the definition of the element First Channel Number field not

to refer to OFDM PHY channelisation?  And maybe also refer to DMG infra

BSSes in 11.9.3.2 and maybe other locations?

Thanks,

Mark

--

Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français

Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600

Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS      Fax: +44 1223  434601

ROYAUME UNI                             WWW: http://www.samsung.com/uk