[STDS-802-11] Transitioning to the new Operations Manual rules on retaining voting membership

Dear 802.11 members,

The IEEE 802.11 WG operations manual https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/14/11-14-0629-16-0000-802-11-operations-manual.docx has been updated recently to state the following rule for retaining voting membership: "• The Voter responds to 2 out of 3 consecutive mandatory WG letter ballots, where a valid response is received in the initial mandatory WG letter ballot or any of its subsequent recirculation ballots. • NOTE – A voter’s status is evaluated at completion of a WG letter ballot series."

In the transitional period when a member has not been in membership during the last 3 consecutive mandatory ballots, the "return 2 of 3" rule is interpreted as "can miss at most 1 ballot". Likewise, under the old "respond to 4 out of 6" rule, this was interpreted as "can miss at most 2 ballots".

I have recalculated voting rights based on the new ("2 of 3") rule, and determined that 18 voters would lose their voting rights. I have granted these voters an exception for the last ballot, which ensures that they
do not lose their voting rights due to the change in rules.

I have sent individual emails to those to whom an exception has been granted.

There's also another transition to think about. The last 3 initial ballots were treated as the events to evaluate voting membership, and members lost or retained their rights based on these initial ballots. As new WG ballot series are opened and completed, the last ballot in each series becomes the event that triggers a re-evaluation. Until we have had three such new WG ballot series, evaluation of voting status will be based on a mixture of the old initial ballots and the new last ballots. It might take a year or more for this transitional situation to resolve itself.

--
Best Regards,

Adrian Stephens
IEEE 802.11 Working Group Chair