Re: [STDS-802-11] Message for Coexistence SC participants

G’day all

You may have noticed that I have held off setting a date and time for the proposed IEEE 802.11 Coexistence SC teleconference. I have done so for a few reasons. Firstly, some people have told me they want more time to develop contributions, particularly given the work going on in 3GPP right now. Secondly, I could not find a time that everyone was happy with.

So instead, I am going to ask everyone to focus on contributions for Orlando. In addition to the topics below, I have been made aware of another important issue related to the interpretation of EN 301 893 that is likely to be raised in Orlando. Please yell if you would like to add additional topics to the agenda, and particularly when you have uploaded a submission.

Finally, just a reminder why we are talking about coexistence in the SC. If the Wi-Fi community (including the IEEE 802.11 WG) does nothing then it is likely that 802.11ax will have less performance than both 802.11ac and LAA/MulteFire under the rules in EN 301 893. In addition, 802.11ax-style spatial reuse will not be allowed. Assuming these outcomes are unacceptable, we either need to advocate for the rules in EN 301 893 to be loosened or refined.

Andrew Myles

Chair of IEEE 802.11 Coexistence SC