[STDS-802-11] proposed change to Stream Classification Service (SCS) Response frame and potential backward compatibility

Hello 802.11 members:

While implementing support for the Stream Classification Service feature defined in IEEE802.11-2020, we ran into an issue with the Stream Classification Service Response frame. If the SCS Response frame were to include a Vendor-Specific element in addition to the ones defined in IEEE802.11-2020, the frame becomes not-parseable – the reason being the end of the SCS Status List cannot be determined. To fix this issue, we proposed to include a count field in the SCS Response frame indicating the number of duples in the SCS Status List.

Here is an excerpt from 11-21/688r2 that describes the change to SCS Response frame:

9.6.18.3 SCS Response frame format
The SCS Response frame is sent in response to an SCS Request frame using the procedures defined in 11.25.2. The Action field of an SCS Response frame contains the information shown in Figure 9-955.

Category

Robust Action

Dialog Token

Count

SCS Status List

Octets

1

1

1

1

Variable

Figure 9-955—SCS Response frame Action field format

The Category field is defined in 9.4.1.11.

The Robust Action field is defined in 9.6.18.1.

The Dialog Token field is set to the nonzero value of the corresponding SCS Request frame. If the SCS Report frame is being transmitted for a reason other than in response to an SCS Request frame, then the Dialog Token field is set to 0.

The Count field is set to the value of the number of SCS Status duples in the SCS Status List field.

The SCS Status List field contains one or more SCS Status duples. The format of the SCS Status duple is defined in Figure 9-956.

The question I have for 802.11 members is “Are you aware of Stream Classification Service implementations that may suffer as a result of this change?”. If you are aware of an implementation, please let me know.

Cheers --

ganesh

“It is amazing what you can accomplish if you don’t care who gets the credit.” – Harry Truman