[STDS-802-11] Closing report of the IEEE 802 JTC1 SC is not dull this time!

G’day all

The closing report of the IEEE 802 JTC1 SC is usually dull, and the approval of associated liaisons to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6 is mostly pro forma. Most people ignore it. This week is not the usual situation or pro forma.

The first item of interest is the response to the comments during the 60-day ballot on IEEE 802.11ax-2021 during the PSDO process. This ballot passed but attracted four negative votes (from China, Germany, Sweden & Finland NBs) and five sets of negative comments (previously named NBs plus Japan NB).

  • The China NB negative vote/comments was related to their usual complaint about IEEE 802.1/11 security. The draft response contains our usual response refined slightly to deal with the particular issues raised.
  • The other negative votes/comments are based on the observation that three blanket negative LoAs have been submitted relative to 802.11ax. The claim is that standardisation of 802.11ax as an ISO/IEC/IEEE standard cannot proceed unless these negative LoAs are withdrawn or changed. This is incorrect, with the more complete story outlined in the draft response. I urge you to read it before the closing WG Plenary. The draft response has been reviewed by IEEE SA staff to ensure alignment with IEEE SA policy. This review process is not quite complete but will be by the time we meet at the closing WG Plenary on Tuesday morning. I will notify the reflector if any further changes are made based on IEEE SA staff input.

The plan is to approve the draft response in the closing WG Plenary. It will then be sent for approval by the IEEE 802 EC.

The second item of interest is related to a request by the HK NB for comment from the  IEEE 802.11 WG on a paper they submitted to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6/WG1 about various aspects of 802.11ax and 802.11be (the paper itself in embedded on slide 99 of the IEEE 802 JTC1 SC agenda). A group of experts have developed a response.  The plan is to approve this response in the closing WG Plenary. The current version includes some language from the expert that wrote the appendix that should probably be refined. The IEEE 802.11 WG Chair will undertake this editorial task before taking it for approval by the IEEE 802 EC.

Andrew Myles
IEEE 802 JTC1 SC Chair