Re: stds-802-16-tg1: Question: Data broadcast in 802.16 MAC

Vladimir,
Unless I misunderstand Ken, there is already a multicast (simultaneous
transmission to a designated subset of subscribers -- subset COULD be
everyone) capability.  In general, I would expect the multicast to be
more appropriate for the ISP situation:

a. it's likely that there is more than a single ISP using the system
(the will be some subscribers who are NOT the ISP's clients).  Accepting
the definition of "broadcast" as being EVERYONE receives it, broadcast
would NOT be appropriate -- the P2MP subscribers who are NOT ISP clients
would also be receiving the broadcast.

b. Even within the ISP's clients I would expect that there are some of
the clients that have no interest in a given transmission -- so even if
the ISP was the only one using the system BROADCAST would not be
appropriate.

Ken, do I have it straight about "broadcast" and "multicast"?

cheers,
Walt