stds-802-16-tg4: stds-802-16-tg4 - complexity

All,
	I am on several mailing lists where options vs. interoperability vs.
complexity are being debated for TG3 and TG4 PHY. I've already been in this
scenario with ISDN. The result was http://www.niuf.nist.gov/docs/428-94.pdf
This is a compatibility  document. I am not presenting this as a/the
cure-all. I am presenting this as the natural evolution of matters where
agreement cannot be reached by standards body on element capabilities.

If we think that we cannot avoid ending up with lots of options, could we
first design a universal configuration signalling channel? Perhaps with a
reserved band, LCD coding and a contention-based access method over which
CPE and base stations can automatically determine the options (basic only?)
used? All manufacturers would be burdened with this functionality.

My $02.

Cheers,
Ken Peirce