Re: stds-802-16-tg4: Call for input - Data Encoding

In an effort to get Minfei from his brick to his gem I put the following
chart on our web site comparing the various major coding schemes under
discussion.  I will include the chart in the official submission I make
before the next 802.16.  Please understand that this is just one piece of
information to be used with all the other information that will surely be
generated over the course of the next few months.

http://www.icoding.com/pdfs/BER_R71_iCODING_dat.pdf

I selected these rates and frame sizes because the rate 0.72 was the only
rate for which block turbo code information was available from two sources
(that I could find).  It also matched up well with typical concatenated
codes.

I would look forward to any comments regarding any errors or changes that
people think would be helpful. I am most uncertain about the concatenated
code curve, so any correction there would be appreciated.

Based on the limited discussion of the HUMAN environment, I think the BEST
convolutional turbo code (note, not necessarily the best code overall) is a
relatively ordinary one, as it does not appear that the coding will be the
primary bar to very low BER performance.  In other words, the environment is
more like cellular rather than LOS point-to-point or satellite.

There are other CTC codes (including iCODING codes) that do not exhibit the
slope changes shown in the chart, but based on Octavian's comments and
others I do not think it is worth the effort in this case to implement these
codes, and in fact the more basic CTC code will provide better performance
for this system.

This is just my opinion and others may disagree.

Of course additional burst noise analysis will be necessary, but like John I
feel that burst noise performance is more related to channel interleaving
rather than coding per se.  Getting the channel model more developed will
certainly help the decision process.

Brian Edmonston
iCODING Technology Inc.