Re: stds-802-16-tg4: draft letter to ETSI BRAN

Heinz,

Even though this is a Working Group letter, it needs to be reviewed
by the IEEE 802 SEC before we can send it. In IEEE 802.161-01/18r1
(which was drafted with significant 802.16 input and which 802.16
endorsed by vote), IEEE 802 has taken a position on the use of the
bands. So we need to live within the bounds of that 802 position.

In the draft letter, I editorially restructured text that had been
approved by TG4. I tried not to change the technical content but only
to revise the tone. The real purpose of the review is to make sure
that I did this correctly. The TG4-approved letter did not advocate
for anything but Band C, as you can see from the original text:

>Following up on the liaison letter from IEEE 802 (IEEE
>802.161-01/18), IEEE 802.16 would like to request EP BRAN to
>consider examining the suitability of license-exempt FWA operation
>in 5GHz, band C (5725-5875 MHz) and consider IEEE 802.16b
>(WirelessHUMAN) as a suitable baseline standard.
>
>As you may be aware, several European regulatory administrations are
>already considering opening this band for license-exempt FWA. For
>example, RA UK, after receiving a report from 5GHz Advisory Group
>recommending studying of FWA in this band using 2 to 4 Watts EIRP,
>is actively considering opening this band for license-exempt FWA.
>
>Recognizing that band B (5.470-5725 MHz) is currently allocated to
>HIPERLAN Type 2 only, and insufficient spectrum may be available for
>sharing this band with license-exempt FWA operation, IEEE 802.16 has
>concluded that band C would be the more suitable allocation for
>license-exempt FWA.
>
>Noting that the HIPERMAN WG is already actively considering the IEEE
>802.16a standard, of which IEEE 802.16b is largely an extension,
>802.16 would suggest and request this activity to be undertaken by
>the HIPERMAN WG. IEEE 802.16 would gladly assist the HIPERMAN WG in
>examining the suitability of license-exempt FWA operation in 5GHz,
>band C. To initiate this effort, IEEE 802.16b has already started a
>comprehensive sharing study with regards to this band, which is
>included in the current draft standard.
>
>As outlined in the IEEE 802.16 Wireless HUMAN PAR 5 Criteria, IEEE
>802 is of the opinion that license exempt FWA has a broad market
>potential.

As for your comment that we seek clarification of ETSI's definition
of nomadic devices, we are not limited by the 802 position, but we
are still limited by the fact that it's not in TG4's version. My
personal view is that it would be a mistake to ask this as an open
question; we would be better off stating our _own_ view on the matter
and asking if ETSI agrees. At this time, we don't _have_ an official
view of our own. If TG4 wants to develop such a view, they should
have a look at the published dictionaries. I recommend ITU-R F.1399
"Vocabulary of Terms for Wireless Access". Jose Costa provided us
with a draft revision approved by ITU-R Study Group 9 (see IEEE
802.16l-00/40 <http://ieee802.org/16/liaison/docs/80216l-00_40.pdf>).

Roger