stds-802-16: SYSREQ: 5 New Contributions

[Notice: It is the policy of 802.16 to treat messages posted here as non-confidential.]

Hello all,

We have received 5 contributions in the area of system requirements which may be
found on the web page http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/sysreq/index.html;
many thanks to the contributors.

Yesterday was the deadline for submitting system requirements contributions to
ensure they be considered for inclusion in our system requirements draft.
If you have comments on any of the contributions, I encourage you to post your
comments, suggestions, and debate on this email reflector (stds-802-16@ieee.org
with the "SYSREQ:" prefix in the subject).  Your on-line comments will help
achieve consensus on some issues as I, as editor, encorporate the contributions
and comments into a draft document which will be available prior to the Montreal
meeting (July 6-8, 1999).

Below are the document citations and abstracts for the 5 new contributions.
Note that some of these contributions (such as number 17) are too detailed to
encorporate completely in our system requirements document, but the detail may
serve as good explanatory background for the requirements.

802.16sc-99/13
   Dispersive Fade Margin: A Physical Layer Performance Metric
   John Liebetreu
   80216sc-99_13.pdf
A paper John submitted to back up his slide and talk at the Boulder meeting.

802.16sc-99/14
   A Multi-Service LMDS System
   Jung Yee
   80216sc-99_14.pdf
An LMDS system must support both connectionless and connection-oriented
services. Connectionless IP is more efficient for non-real-time services,
such as internet browsing, while connection-oriented ATM is much better
for delivery of real-time services, such as telephony. It is unlikely that
one technology will overcome its shortcomings to the extent of completely
replacing the other. This document proposes an LMDS system that integrates
both ATM and IP.

802.16sc-99/15
   System Reference Model and Protocol Stack for Broadband Wireless Access
   Willie Lu
   80216sc-99_15.pdf
In this contribution, we propose an improved system architecture focusing
on system reference and protocol stack for broadband wireless access networks.
The proposal aims to construct an open packetized platform for wireless
access and wireless networks. This solution can greatly increase the spectrum
utilization rate while providing good quality of service in broadband
wireless multimedia communications.

802.16sc-99/16
   MAC Services
   Marianna Goldhammer
   80216sc-99_16.pdf
This contribution drafts the principal requirements for the MAC services, in
concordance with the IEEE 802.1 and 802.2 definitions, supported services
and bandwidth efficiency considerations.

802.16sc-99/17
   LMDS Cell Sizing and Availability
   Robert Duhamel
   80216sc-99_17.pdf
Discussion of equipment transmitter/receiver, antenna and propagation
(rain) parameters that dictate both the cell sizing and availability.

Best Regards,

Brian Petry