Re: stds-802-16:SYSREQ

[Notice: It is the policy of 802.16 to treat messages posted here as non-confidential.]

My responses to Mr. Jarrett's comments follows.

1. Yes, I as editor, took some liberty in filling in the gaps in the first draft
of the document.  The contributions we received did not flow together enough to
form an "even" narrative.  Generally, the task group accepted this mode of
operation.  Further, at the Austin 802.BWA study group meeting, I was tasked
with doing just that: to get a draft out in an accelerated manner, based on
consensus I could detect from the contributions and on-line debate.  I also
clearly stated how the editor arrived at the first draft in the various
"disclaimers" in the top sections of the document.  One thing that did not
happen was on-line debate on various issues (e.g., issues in the contributions)
that would have allowed me to clearly "detect" consensus.  This lack of
participation made my job a little more difficult, but I still got it done.
Thus, I object to Mr. Jarrett's negative comments on the editing process up to
meeting #1.

2. The group voted (unanimously) to accept the draft (after some edits at
meeting #1) as the working baseline.  Basically that means we are not starting
over again.  I think that clearly justified the editiing process up to that
point.

3. We wasted some time at meeting #1 discussing "process."  This lasted little
over 1 hour.  I would not say that was "much" of the time.  But it was my
fault--the process I had in mind clearly was not going to work and I could not
think of a new process quickly enough, so I opened the floor to suggestions.
After the 10:00AM break, with some helpful suggestions from Gene Robinson and
Roger Marks, I had resolved our process issues for the meeting, and the rest of
the day went very smoothly, including the time we allowed for debating some of
the suggested modifications to the document.  I appologize for wasting about an
hour of people's time at the meeting.

4. The process going forward will be to accept specific insertions, deletions
and changes to the document.  The editor will not make unilateral changes to the
document unless they are non-content changes, such as formatting, etc.  The
system requirements task group leadership will send mail to the reflector
discribing this process shortly.

5. At meeting #1, the group identified some areas that require more
contributions.  We will be sending a call for contributions shortly.  At meeting
#2 (Denver), the group will decide how to proceed with the contributions.

6. Some issues that are controversial and/or not covered adequately by
contributions may be allocated (refered) to sub groups to work out a
consensus/compromise proposal.

[Flame On]

7.  Lucent, as a company, has no input into our process.  Only the individuals
who participate have input.

8. Mr. Jarrett is the vice-chairman of the system requirements task group.  As
such, he should discuss his opinions with the rest of the task group leadership
before blasting suggestions to the list and forcing us (me) to waste our
valuable time writing (and reading) followup messages such as this one.  I hope
in the future he can work more constructively with the group.

[Flame Off]

Best Regards,

Brian Petry

"Jarrett, David (David)" <djarrett@lucent.com> on 07/15/99 08:11:52 AM