stds-802-16: Published: IEEE 802.16.2, Recommended Practices to Facilitate theCoexistence of Broadband Wireless Access (BWA) Systems: Working Document,Rev. 2

Published: IEEE 802.16.2, Recommended Practices to Facilitate the
Coexistence of Broadband Wireless Access (BWA) Systems: Working
Document, Rev. 2

Document Number: IEEE 802.16.2-00/01

Source: J. Leland Langston <mailto:j-langston2@raytheon.com>

Notes:

(1) This is a revision of document IEEE 802.16c-99/02. The previous
version was issued on 5 November 1999.

(2) I had some problems in converting this to PDF, so a few of the
graphs have have some minor problems. I'll try to get a better
rendition.

(3) You may be interested in the status of this project.

The minutes the Coexistence Task Group issued after Session #5 noted
that Thursday afternoon "was devoted to updating the timeline for
completion of the practice; this revised timeline will be presented
at the Plenary on Friday." As noted in the 802.16 Session #5 minutes,
the Coexistence Task Group did discuss, in the Closing Plenary, a
revised timeline that would entail submitting a draft to the IEEE-SA
by about 14 July 2000. 802 Chair Jim Carlo commented on the
importance of the letter ballot process, highlighting the key role of
Session #6 in staying on schedule. One critical aspect of the plan
was sending the document to Working Group Letter Ballot soon after
Session #6.

Since Session #5, I have not been able to obtain a copy of the
timeline and do not recall the specific details of the plan. Based on
the information I have been able to gather and on my recollection of
the timeline, it appears to me as if the project is significantly
behind schedule. I informed the Task Group leadership team on 11
February that I was presuming the project was well behind schedule
and that the Task Group would therefore not be submitting a draft for
Working Group Letter Ballot after Session #6. I added that, if my
presumption was incorrect, the team should let me know and begin
developing a plan to get the project on track.

At this point, I would guess that a 14 July 2000 submission date to
IEEE is out of the question.

I welcome any comments as to the status of the project, the timeline
that was discussed or adopted at Session #5, the feasibility of that
timeline, and a possible new timeline that might be adopted and made
available to the Working Group participants. I encourage those with
an interest in timely completion of the document to participate more
intensely in the project so as to accelerate its completion.

Regards,

Roger

Dr. Roger B. Marks  <mailto:marks@nist.gov>
Chair, IEEE 802.16 WG on Broadband Wireless Access <http://ieee802.org/16>
National Wireless Electronic Systems Testbed (N-WEST) <http://nwest.nist.gov>
National Institute of Standards and Technology/Boulder, CO
tel: +1 303 497 3037  fax: +1 303 497 7828