stds-802-16: next steps for 802.16.1 and agenda for Session #7.5

(A) Logistics of Session #7.5

IEEE 802.16 Session #7.5 will be held May 30-June 2, 2000 in Boulder,
Colorado, USA.

I have not heard from 802.16.2 so, for now, I am presuming that only
802.16.1 will participate.

Only six people have registered. I am planning for 50, but that is a
guess. If you are coming, please STOP right now and click here to
register:

	mailto:r.b.marks@ieee.org?subject=Session_#7.5_Registration

The Regal Harvest House is accepting reservations:

	<http://ieee802.org/16/meetings/mtg075/reservation.html>

See <http://ieee802.org/16/meetings/mtg075> for more details.

We have two meeting rooms available, but I am assuming that we will
not be running parallel sessions.

(B) Agenda and Next Steps for 802.16.1

 From this point on, I see two separate tasks for the MAC and PHY
efforts: (1) draft development and revision, under the direction of
an Editor and an Editorial Commmittee; (2) validation, under the
direction of a Validation Committee. I see Session #7.5 is an
opportunity to get these efforts established, define the processes
and tasks, and start rolling.

(1) Draft Development and Revision

*We need to focus on the MAC draft to ensure that it it does not put
us behind schedule. Regarding the unified MAC proposal that was
agreed to in principle at Session #7, the actual submission will be
up to the invited group (and due on June 30). However, it would be
very helpful if we could reach consensus on a detailed outline of a
unification plan. I would like to leave the meeting with such a
document, which we could issue as a supplement to the Invitation to
Contribute.

*I don't think that Session #7.5 is a good time to move forward on
the PHY document. Instead, we should get the document comment process
underway and deal with the comments at Session #8.

In both the MAC and PHY cases, we need to define the process of
document refinement based on comments. Some of the machinery can come
from a proposal of Brian Petry that I will post soon; we also need to
determine the authority of the Editorial Committees; for instance, we
could give them the right to handle comment resolution, subject to
appeal. In the MAC case, we should arrange for the Editorial
Committee to work closely with the contributors to ensure that the
contributed document is in good shape to quickly move to Working
Group Letter Ballot.

I am going to tentatively assign Tuesday afternoon and all of
Wednesday to the topics under (1).

(2) Validation

In both the MAC and PHY case, we need to begin moving forward on
validation, which will involve simulation. In the PHY case,
measurements may also prove relevant.

This topic hasn't really gotten rolling, as we have focused on more
pressing issues. Furthermore, the purpose has shifted from
distinguishing two proposals to demonstrating the soundness of the
802.16.1 plan. The shift buys us some extra time, but it is essential
that we begin making progress. I would like to enable a MAC Modeling
Team and a PHY Modeling Team, each with a milestone chart listing
accomplishments and deadlines and listing particular individuals who
have agreed to accept the assignments.

*In the case of the MAC, we made progress at Session #6. We need to
get back on track by outlining the plan and ensuring that resources
are committed to carrying it out. I would like to include SDL
modeling as one of the functions of the MAC Validation Committee. We
also need to develop the MAC simulation framework, including the
traffic models, etc.

*In the case of the PHY, we also need to capitalize on some earlier
progress in areas such as propagation and channel models and power
amplifier models.

I am going to tentatively assign Thursday and Friday to the topics under (2).

It would be great if we could get out some formal Call for
Contribution documents, but, realistically, that may not happen. In
lieu of this, I am going to ask for everyone to make their best
preparations for the meeting. Feel free to bring along relevant
contributions; pre-submit them if possible. Also, you might consider
preparing to volunteer (and getting clearance to do so), reviewing
relevant documents already on-line, etc.

I hope the MAC and PHY teams will work out more detailed plans and
solicit contributions where they see a need. The key volunteers
already on the books are:

PHY
Jay Klein <mailto:jay@ensemblecom.com>
Jeff Foerster <mailto:foerster@newbridge.com>