RE: stds-802-16: Request to amend joint 802-16/ETSI-BRAN-HA minut es

Hello,

[To avoid minutiae, skip to the 3rd paragraph]

After checking Robert's Rules (note that Roger added to the 802.16 web site a
link to an on-line version: http://www.constitution.org/rror/rror--00.htm), I
agree with Scott, that minutes should record just motions and their resolutions.
But if Demos still wants to amend the minutes, even if it's outside the normal
scope of the minutes, he's free to do so by making a motion to amend at the next
meeting, after someone moves to accept the minutes.  I also feel that
discussions like this email exchange are good, and should not be discouraged,
because the more issues we resolve before the next meeting, the more time we
save discussing them at the next meeting.  So, I recommend after this email
discussion is complete, if Demos still wants to change the minutes, he come
prepared at the next meeting with a concisely written motion to amend.

And now for some reality.  Not many people read the minutes until something goes
wrong.  The heart of the issue that I think Demos wants to document is that the
procedure for working out document exchange, review and comment submittal
between BRAN/HA and 802.16 hasn't yet been worked out and has been taken
"off-line."  So, I would advise that this email discussion evolve into a
discussion about the issue rather than nit-picking on rules and minutes.  Even
though we don't have "Robert's Rules of Email Order," this discussion is being
automatically recorded and reaches the desk of everyone involved.  IMHO, it's
much more effective than minutes.

From an 802.16-centric perspective, I for one am not that interested in
committee-fying comment and review of BRAN/HA's documents.  I would like to
avoid spending much time in 802.16 face-to-face meetings reviewing their
documents and agreeing on comments to submit to BRAN/HA.  I think the best we
can do is be notified of relevant BRAN/HA drafts via email (802.16 reflector)
and proceed with a less formal review process.  (Note that BRAN/HA has their own
reflector to which anyone can subscribe, that announces many things other than
relevant drafts.)  Individuals in 802.16 can recognize important issues in
BRAN/HA drafts and bring them up for discussion on this reflector.  If anyone
senses consensus on an issue, that person can formulate an appropriate motion
for the next 802.16 meeting, in the plenary and/or appropriate task group.  Such
a motion would charge a liaison to bring a change request to a BRAN meeting.

Best Regards,

Brian Petry
3Com

"Kostas, Demos" <dkostas@adaptivebroadband.com> on 05/23/2000 06:38:11 AM

Sent by:  "Kostas, Demos" <dkostas@adaptivebroadband.com>

To:   "'Scott Marin'" <smarin@spectrapoint.com>, "Kostas, Demos"
      <dkostas@adaptivebroadband.com>
cc:   "'Roger B. Marks'" <marks@boulder.nist.gov>, stds-802-16@ieee.org,
      "'Per.J.Emanuelsson @telia.se'" <Per.J.Emanuelsson@telia.se> (Brian
      Petry/PA/3Com)
Subject:  RE: stds-802-16: Request to amend joint 802-16/ETSI-BRAN-HA minut es

Scott
I find your explanation inconsistent with my 22 years experience in
standards fora participation.  An event has occurred at a meeting and a
member considers it important to ask that the event be recorded in the
meeting minutes.  The only question that should remain is whether the
proposed wording accurately describes the event.   Accuracy of the proposed
wording definitely requires to be voted upon or the chair/secretary can
informally ask those in attendance if they consider that the proposed
wording accurately describes what has happened.  If no one objects then the
wording is assumed as accurately describing the event, otherwise the
proposed statement's accuracy in describing the event is voted upon.

I am sorry for my ignorance but where is the rule of how and to record the
event that you enforcing described?  Are we following Roberts Rules or
adapting them as we go along?  Kindly explain.
I thank you.

Dr. Demosthenes J. Kostas
Director, Industry Standards
Adaptive Broadband Corporation