stds-802-16: FWD: Relationships between IEEE-ISTO and IEEE-SA

Today I had a call from IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA)
President Don Loughry. Don assured me that he has been working
diligently to reach an agreement on two issues: (1) developing
terminology to distinguish ISTO efforts from IEEE-SA projects [the
word "standard" is at the heart of the discussion] and (2) preventing
future conflicts between IEEE-SA and ISTO topics.

Don invited me to post the note below to the 802.16 reflector. It is
from both Don and Marco Migliaro (who Chairs the ISTO Board of
Directors and, by the way, is also President-Elect of the IEEE-SA).
It provides a good look at how the issue is being addressed inside
IEEE. You can see that Don has taken the lead. I appreciate this,
since it is a matter that affects all of IEEE-SA.

While IEEE-SA fully comprehends the 802 position with respect to the
BWIF, it is not at the moment seeking to redress specific grievances
but instead focusing on future policy and procedures. I can
understand why. IEEE runs on rules. The issues that have been raised
in regard to the BWIF involve not rule violations but questions as to
whether the actions are in the best interest of IEEE. ISTO is less
than two years old, and those who drew up the blueprints may not have
anticipated some of the pitfalls. IEEE is now looking to revisit the
rules to ensure future harmony.

Once new rules are in place, I think there will be an opportunity to
revisit the specific case of the BWIF and how those new rules apply
to it. For instance, I reminded Don that, once an agreement on
terminology is reached, we will want to make sure it applies to the
BWIF.

Now, on to creating IEEE Standard 802.16.3!

Roger