RE: stds-802-16: WirelessHUMAN report

Dear Roger
I don't understand the 802.11a group, their reaction looks as
misunderstanding of the following points:
a. If 802.11a wants to have a spectrum just for them then they are taking a
risk, someone may decided to treat the band as licensed band, with all the
money involved around that. Some hypothesis: 1) If 802.11a will have the
UNII band then the FCC will be asked by the industry to allocate another
band for HUMAN and other license exempt systems. 2) The FCC can split the
UNII band to two or more groups as well. 3) The FCC will leave the situation
as is. With all the above scenarios I don't see why 802.11a should act
especially against HUMAN.
b. The chance to have the UNII spectrum just for 802.11a currently is very
low. It is anticipated that more proprietary non-coordinated technologies
will jump to that spectrum. The risk is bigger if other standard
technologies will upgrade their frequencies to that band, assuming they will
fulfill the FCC rules (like upgrade of: 802.16.3 or Hiperlan2, FWA < 11 from
ETSI). This other standard technologies may be sold in high quantities and
will occupy the band without any farther coordination.
c. If the 802.11a will stop HUMAN to develop under IEEE, it will not prevent
other HUMAN like systems to come from outside IEEE (we can see that from the
number of participation in the HUMAN study group, even if it runs in
parallel to 802.16.3). If 802.11a did not developed for environment like the
UNII is defined today then they should modify it.
d. In case where HUMAN standard will develop under the 802's wings, some
coexistent and coordination with 802.11a can be achieved (using the same
spectral shape, bandwidth, center frequency etc).
e. HUMAN made a call that was pushed by Naftali Chayat from 802.11a to
802.11a for help regarding the adaptation of 802.11a. Our technical
decisions have been taken during the meeting on the reaction to that call
and a full consideration of the 802.11a has been taken.
f. Human decided to choose to be close to 802.11a Phy in order to use the
same spectrum mask, power level, etc... for coexistence reasons and time to
market.
g. Human decided to choose to be close to 802.16.1 MAC in order to take the
ACCESS and other advantages, the group has some freedom in the convergence
MAC/PHY that may be developed for the HUMAN specific needs, where farther
coexistence consideration will be taken. After all, The HUMAN group wants to
share the spectrum with 802.11a with minimum mutual interferences.
h. Effort for HUMAN survival in the UNII band in outdoor environment under
the FCC rules will be taken. Human understand the fact that UNII band may
have other non coordinated technologies in that band, HUMAN may incorporate
farther tools for reducing the mutual interference like APC, highly
directional antennas where LOS condition exists, strong or optimize FEC in
order to minimize the usage of ARQ transmissions in order to prevent farther
possible interferences from HUMAN to the other systems, which will lead to
less retransmission on the other systems, etc...
i. Mutual interference consideration:
802.11a was designed for indoor LAN  for short rang (250 m) and most of the
time the terminal need low transmit power in order to be received correctly
by the receiver, this means that the 802.11a has power margin against
interferences in addition to the building power penetration from outside
interference. The HUMAN RF path propagate throw outdoor environment can
transmit the same maximum radiated power but need to go for longer ranges
(~5-10 Km). If one will make the calculations he will fined that the 802.11a
doesn't have to be afraid from HUMAN that used similar RF parameters.

Best Regards,

Zion Hadad
zionh@runcom.co.il

President and CEO
Runcom Technologies LTD.
Broadband Wireless Technologies DVB-RCT, LMDS, MMDS
http://www.runcom.co.il
Tel: 972-3-9528440 ext. 102   Fax: 972-3-9528805
14 Levi Moshe st. 75158, Rishon Lezion, Israel