RE: stds-802-16: WirelessHUMAN report

Zion,

Based on reading <http://ieee802.org/16/human/par_comments.html>, I
think I can summarize my guess as to how this debate might go.

Pro and Con (who get their names from their position with respect to
a WirelessHUMAN standard) have the following discussion:

Con: WirelessHUMAN will interfere with Wireless LANs if they share
the U-NII band. Therefore, there should be no WirelessHUMAN in the
U-NII band. Therefore, 802 shouldn't have a WirelessHUMAN standard.

Pro: Quasi-HUMAN or Sub-HUMAN (hominoid?) systems are being deployed
and will continue to be deployed. IEEE is not the regulator. Having
no WirelessHUMAN standard doesn't mean there will be no interfering
systems.

Con: While 802 can't stop HUMAN-like deployments, it should at least
avoid promoting their use.

Pro: Wrong. 802 should promote deployments that are, to a large
degree, harmonious with existing IEEE-based systems. Having a
WirelessHUMAN standard that is coordinated with 802.11 is the best
way for 802 to encourage cooperative use. Ultimately, will be the
best thing for 802.11.

Con: Well, maybe, but what do you mean by coordinated?

Pro: I'm not exactly sure, but I think we can work that out.
WirelessHUMAN chose the 802.11a PHY, and we think that should help.

Con: Well, if you also chose the 802.11 MAC, then maybe we could talk business.

Pro: We looked at the 802.11 MAC, and we think that the 802.16
approach is more in line with our needs.

Con: OK, so I ask again, what do you mean by coordinated?

Pro: How about if we agree to work on the problem together?

Con: Maybe. Where do you suggest we start?

I think that our WirelessHUMAN team needs to be prepared for a debate
like this. In particular, they need to be ready to address the last
question. This is going to require some advance work.

My suggestion is that the people interested in WirelessHUMAN get
together and work on this problem. They need a place of their own,
off the 802.16 reflector, where they can get some real work done.

To facilitate this process, I have created a discussion group at
<http://www.egroups.com/group/wirelesshuman>. I have made Durga the
moderator. I suggest that those of you interested in this topic go
over there, sign up, and work the problem. Let me know how it is
going and if you need any help.

Roger