stds-802-16: Re: Agenda

>It seems that we will have more than usual conflicts on our time next week,
>with many of the same people involved simultaneously with TG3 MAC issues, TG1
>MAC issues, TG3 PHY and Traffic proposals etc, WHUMAN PAR / 802.11 issues and
>the unresolved ISTO stuff. I hope that you will be trying to do some creative
>agenda building, rather than relying on the normal process of "like it or lump
>it". I made some suggestions at the Denver meeting, lets see some new
>initiatives.
>
>David Trinkwon

David,

I understand that people who are interested in multiple projects
would like to see the Session agenda structured to allow them to
participate in more than one. On the other hand, it will be a very
busy week for all. Based on your request, I have taken another hard
look at the situation. The best I can do, I am afraid, is to
apologize for the fact that this problem is beyond my ability to
solve.

The current schedule
<http://ieee802.org/16/meetings/mtg10/agenda.html> gives each of the
Task Groups the following allocations:

Monday:     2 hours
Tuesday:    8 hours (assuming 2 hours for lunch and breaks)
Wednesday:  6 hours (assuming 2 hours for lunch and breaks)
Thursday:   5 hours (assuming 2 hours for lunch and breaks)
TOTAL:     21 hours

If necessary, groups can use Tuesday night, and possibly part of
Monday night (though an important WirelessHUMAN session starts at
8:30 pm Monday). The social takes up Wednesday night. {By the way,
the 802 organizers have run short of meeting rooms and have still not
100% committed to providing space for all of this.}

Now please consider some of the activities for the week. Without
specifying the details of each group's agenda, I can take a good
guess based on the contribution that have come in:

*TG1 has about 600 comments to resolve in order to prepare for
initiating a letter ballot. We will run the MAC and PHY groups in
parallel to maximize the time, but the MAC team has the bulk of the
comments (around 500, which comes down to about 150 seconds per
comment). The resolution of each comment, including votes when
necessary, has to be fully documented. In addition, 9 contributed
documents have been received; these will reduce the time available
for comment processing. In summary: TG1 will be busy.

*TG2 has many comments to process in order to prepare for initiating
its own letter ballot. It also expects to address some serious issues
arising from documents that do not recommend specific changes. This
may require the group to write quite a bit of new text. LIke TG1, TG2
will need to provide a fully documented change list.

*TG3 has received 24 contributions. Around 18 of these are PHY
proposals to be evaluated. If, for example, these were to be handled
on Wednesday, each would have 20 minutes, including questions and
setup time. The evaluation criteria and scoring system still need
work, channel and traffic modeling papers need to be discussed, and
four contributions were made regarding TG3 considerations for the
MAC. I've probably forgotten some other things too.

*WirelessHUMAN has a very full plate, as I have indicated in other
messages. This revolves around discussions with other Working Groups
and subsequent PAR revisions. The Study Group may also find itself
engaged in a number of discussions with voting members of the
Executive Committee. The 5 pm PAR deadline on Wednesday is critical.
On Thursday, the group needs to find time to prepare a Call For
Proposals, as described in the PAR.

Then there is the 802.16 Plenary activity. I've allowed two hours
each on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. If we can find a way to give
some back to the Task Groups, we will. However, we have a lot of
major issues to address.

I know of two ways to allow people to increase their multi-project
participation:

(1) Hold "joint sessions". The problem here is that each Task Group
has orthogonal requirements and a brutal task list. In my mind, any
joint session means that at least one group basically suspends its
work during that time. Speaking for TG1, we have very little spare
time for this. If other groups want to do it and think they can fit
it into their schedule, they may. However, I can't accept the role of
coordinating it; Task Groups will have to do it on a bilateral basis.

(2) Arrange the agendas so that people can duck out of one meeting
when they aren't interested and be sure that something interesting
will be happening in another room. Again, there is no way I can
predict who will be interested in what. Furthermore, much of each
group's agenda is sequenced based on external requirements or
internal logical ordering needs, so there isn't much flexibility.

The bottom line here is that I am not going to attempt to coordinate
the schedules of the Task Groups. If individual Task Groups want to
work something out with each other, they may, but I am personally
concerned that each group has too much on its plate and no time to
spare.

What we CAN do to help is to make the Task Group agendas available on
the server, keep them updated, and stick to them. I hope the Task
Groups will cooperate.

Regards,

Roger