wpan/ New Structure of the Coexistence Group

All,

	Within IEEE 802.15 we have a task group (TG2) to address the issue of Coexistence
of WPANs and WLANs in the unlicenced band.  Recently there has been a growing interest in
the issue of Coexistence within IEEE 802.11, with the formation of the 5G study group.  Also
recently the IEEE 802.16 working group has established the Wireless HUMAN group to look
at establishing standards for Broadband wireless access in the unlicenced bands.

	As a result of all this activity we are looking for the best structure to address Coexistence
within the IEEE 802 Wireless working groups.  The purpose of this email is to start an email discussion
on these reflectors about the various options that we have.  The plan after that would be to capture
the essence of this discussion and to make a proposal at the Monterey meeting as to how to structure
the Coexistence work within the Wireless 802 groups.

	Attached is a presentation that Al Petrick and I made at the Joint 802.11 and 802.15 meeting
in Tampa.  This proposal represents one approach.

	The following are the three approaches I have heard mentioned.  Please comment on them by
replying to this email. Please include all three email reflectors so members of all three wireless working
groups can participate.

1.	Set up three separate coexistence task groups, one in each working group.

2.	Form a joint Task Group under the three working groups.  This is a new structure that
	has never be done before.

3.	Form a new working group.  This Wireless 802 Coexistence working group would address
	all coexistence issues within the unlicenced bands.

	Please send in your comments.

Sincerely,
Steve

00398r0P802-15_WG-Proposal-for-an-IEEE-802-Wireless-Coexistence-Group.ppt