wpan/ RE: WLAN/ Re: WPAN/ Call for contributions & RE: WLAN/ New Structure of the Coexistence Group

Steve / All,

I'd like to say this is my $.02 concerning this issue, but at standard rates
for engineering time, I'm sure the cost of this e-mail to my company is more
than $.02 (though the incidental cost to distribute it is probably less).

First, I just want to add my voice to those people favoring options 2 and 3
for a structure for the coexistence.  Personally, I favor option 3 as I feel
coexistence is a very important topic, and it will get more respect as an
actual Working Group.  The key issue I see (as does everyone else) is that
we simply have too much work to do to be able to attend all the meetings in
all the groups.  Some suggestions I've heard hear at AT&T include:

	1) Limit the Coexistence working group to two half day meetings
(Monday & Friday?)

		On Mondays the group could coordinate what inputs in might
be having to other Working groups
		On Fridays it would process the inputs from other Working
groups into directions for the Coexistence group
		Coexistence Ad hoc groups could meet during the week
informally to get the actual work done.
		Consider having attendance of the Coexistence group count
towards attendance in other groups
		Or, try to have coexistence meetings at times that would not
conflict with the other WG
			(Like Monday evening and Friday afternoon / morning)

	2) Ask the wireless groups not to have formal votes and meetings
during the Coexistence sessions

						or

	3) Have key votes / issues preannounced and allow proxy voting in
other WG when the Coexistence WG is in session

	4) Add more days to the meetings, or a separate Coexistence meeting

I'm not sure which of these ideas (if any) are workable, but the issue of
parallel sessions has to be addressed.

Also, a comment concerning the definition of coexistence.  I guess that I
favor that a form of interoperability be built into all standards at 5 GHz.
Full compatibility is not required to be interoperable, but all systems
should have the ability to detect each others presence, and perhaps
communicate some simple information.  So I guess the question I'm trying to
raise is where are the boarders between coexistence and interoperability?
Do there have to be any?

Thanks,

Mat

Matthew Sherman
PTSM - Communications Technology Research
AT&T Labs - Shannon Laboratory
Room 3K18, Building 104
180 Park Avenue
P.O. Box 971