RE: stds-802-16: 802.18 draft: Reply Comments on 5 GHz NPRM

Marianna, all,

I am concerned that we are risking our general credit with the FCC by
asking for more power as per the changes below.

What we really want is more spectrum  - above the 5.9 band. More power
at the lower 5.5 band is a second best solution because it leads to
interference between RLAN and MANs and that does not help any body.

Even more important: the DoD/NTIA and industry spent a lot of time and
energy on hammering out a compromise for the sharing of the 5 GHz band.
A request for more power would but a bomb under that hard won compromise
and no-one can predict the consequences. Note that the compromise is a
political one - no amount of technical data will change that.

Therefore, we, the IEEE, are asking the FCC for something we are not
likely to get and that we do not want if we can get something else.

This is not a good way to work with the FCC - we run the risk of
becoming seen as just another narrow minded interest group instead of a
respected partner. We should cultivate our long term position and
therefore I suggest that the language below be removed from the .18
replies.

Jan Kruys
Standards and Regulations, EMEA
Cisco Systems