From: Devendra Tripathi [mailto:tripathi@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 1:24 PM
To: Adisak Mekkittikul; stds-802-17@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RPRWG] MAC Question

Hi Adisak,

No one can say that higher latency is a virtue and so if it came at no or
little
price every one will welcome low latency. But, in my experience it has a
significant
cost which someone has to pay for. Let us take a few latency crtical
examples:

1. Ring control packets
2. Voice packets

In case (1) we talk of the time of the order of millisecond (if I am correct
our
objective is 50 ms for restoration). The control packets are expected to be
fairly small ones. At Gigabit rate (the system speed is going to be much
faster than
this) it takes about 1 us (For 128 byte packet) per node. We can use a
system with 500 nodes under .5 ms time.

For voice packets the turn around time is of the order of 50 ms. The packet
sizes are
likely going to be 64 -128 bytes in this case too. Thus similar calculations
apply.

Having said this, I would support cut through for priority packets.

Regards,

Devendra Tripathi
VidyaWeb, Inc
90 Great Oaks Blvd #206