RE: [RPRWG] A topology discovery algorithm for RPR

Bob,

You make a great point about trying to reuse the
token ring topology discovery protocols.  There are some
useful things in 802.5.  One example is the Join Ring FSM
diagram Fig 23 in section 4.2.2.1.

One general issue is that we have passed a motion (#15)
which says "The 802.17 RPR standard shall support a fully
distributed access method without a master node within
the same ring."  This seems to rule out the use of those
Token Ring methods which rely on the actions of the
"Active Monitor" station.  It can be argued that
802.5's selection of which station becomes the "Active
Monitor" station is dynamic and not determined a priori so
it is only marginally a "master node".  It can be argued
either way.

Do others have opinions on whether Token Ring's dynamic
selection of an "Active Monitor" station violates our
motion?

  Talk to you soon,
  Brian Holden

Brian Holden        PMC-Sierra, Inc.
3975 Freedom Circle, Santa Clara  CA  USA
+1.408.239.8123   Fax +1.408.492.9862
brian_holden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.pmc-sierra.com