RE: [RPRWG] CRC check in each node?

Angela,

This is an intesting question and is sort of the tip of an iceberg
(pardon the cliché - I feel the answer to this question is loaded)

There are fundamentally 2 issues here. Misrouting of packets due
to errors and corruption of the payload.

IMHO, packets whose headers are corrupted must be discarded
in order to prevent misrouting. The question is whether the misrouting
prevention is limited between RPR MACs or to the ultimate destination
entity connected to a RPR MAC. I am assuming that a RPR MAC has
multiple clients.

Certain services require persistent delivery of frames. Such services
will make their won decision on what to do with corrupted frames.
For these services it may require that corrupted frames be still delivered
to the specific MAC client.

Now, it maybe of significant value in debugging networks and from
an operational perspective to know over which span on the ring the
frame got corrupted. Hence CRC recomputation at every node may
have some value from an operational perspective. Also, since the TTL
field is part of the frame CRC recomputation cannot be avoided at least for
the header.

raj