From: Denton Gentry [mailto:denny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 10:57 PM
To: stds-802-17@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RPRWG] CRC check in each node?

 I'd prefer the TTL not be included in the same CRC used over the
user data. If a packet traverses N nodes on the ring, there would
be N places where failing hardware could result in undetected data
corruption of the user's data.
  If the CRC is left intact all the way across the ring, there are only
two places where the packet could be corrupted undetected (the source
and the destination).

  As for whether to strip bad packets at each node: never optimize
for errors. I don't think increased efficiency in handling bad
packets is worth added complexity in the MAC.