Re: [RPRWG] CRC check in each node?

Nader,

 Please see my comments below.

Thanks.

Necdet
Nader Vijeh wrote:

> One of the challenges we have in 802.17 is emulation of the "broadcast
> media", which is the basic assumption for most if not all of the 802 MACs.
> The act of "destination stripping" complicates this as the receive function
> of 802 MACs is not the same as packet removal. 802.3,5, 11 ,etc. all perform
> receive function without removing the packet. In other ring MACs (e.g.
> 802.5), the source MAC removes the packet with the assumption that all other
> MACs have "seen" the packet.
>
> The challenge is to perform destination stripping without performing
> bridging (switching) function, as that will be outside the scope of the
> 802.17.

We have passed an objective passed stating "The MAC shall support destination
removal for unicast packets during normal operation." , hence 802.17 MAC shall
perform destination stripping for unicast packets. The "emulation of the
'broadcast media' " though can be handled using multicast which does not require

destination stripping. One way to implement bridging without violating the
destination stripping objective is to use broadcast for learning and to use
unicast with encapsulation for the delivery of the bridged packets. There will
be a presentation on this in the July meeting.

> We can specify functions such as CRC checks and may be manipulating the CRC
> filed or a bit in the header to indicate a bad packet, etc, as a MAC
> function. Specifying packets to be discarded or re-ordered or otherwise
> "received" and "re-transmitted", is harder to do in the context of an 802
> MAC. In other words, specific implementations may wish to buffer packets in
> transit or not, without making that a requirement in the standard.

I don't understand why it is difficult to specify packets to be discarded. We
may want to make it optional to drop or not to drop packets with CRC errors,
however, we should determine a default behavior for this decisions.
We should definitely specify packets to be "received" (i.e., unicast) and
"received and copied to transit path" (i.e., multi-cast) in the standards. In
fact
we have already decided on the first one (unicast) and implied for the second
one (multicast) by passing objectives relating to them in the prior meetings.

I agree with you with respect to transit path implementation not being part of
the standard if we can show that this would not cause any inter-operability
problems.

> As for "fairness", if there is an "active" control mechanism, as covered by
> multiple proposals, it is possible to regulate access to media without the
> need to perform packet switching at each node (station). After all, it is
> the main objective of the WG to devise a Media Access Protocol and not a
> packet switching technology.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean with switching? I agree that transit
packets should not go to the switch fabric and switched back.

> The option to receive (drop) all packets and then re-queue them above the
> MAC and then re-transmit them, is an option when the MAC is operating in
> "promiscuous" mode.

Can you please explain why this is needed?

> Nader

begin:vcard
n:Uzun;Necdet
tel;fax:408 325 1699
tel;work:408 325 1602
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:www.AuroraNetics.com
version:2.1
email;internet:nuzun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
adr;quoted-printable:;;211 River Oaks Pkw, Suite B=0D=0A;San Jose;CA;95134;
fn:Necdet Uzun
end:vcard