From: Pankaj K Jha [mailto:pkj@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2001 7:47 PM
To: Angela T. Faber
Cc: ieee 802.17 list
Subject: Re: Fw: [RPRWG] CRC check in each node?

Hi Robin:
Propagation of errored packets all the way to the destination may have its
roots
in SONET/SDH networks (I admit I don't know the reasons for token ring
properties). In SONET networks one establishes a dedicated path (through a
series of nodes) between a source and a destination node. The bandwidth pipe
is
dedicated between the end station, and other nodes don't (aren't allowed to)
mess with the packets within the pipe.

Since SONET/SDH primarily carried PDH traffic that didn't have an addressing
within the packet for a particular intermediate node (a bunch of DS0
channels),
and the fact that circuit was untouched by intermediate nodes, the data was
delivered to the end nodes.

With POS, the situation didn't change, because you still have a
point-to-point
dedicated link (through one or more nodes in between). Intermediate nodes
still
must carry data all the way to the destination. Since it is a PPP, the end
node
is the one that takes it off the ring.

The significance of doing so is almost negligible in packet-oriented
transports.
Unlike SONET/SDH carrying PDH, with IP transport it is very easy to address
any
node and run SNMP and monitor RMON MIBs, Ethernet MIB, other L2/L3 MIBs,
etc. at
any node. So if Node C has been dropping packets, you can see it easily
using
standard SNMP tools from any other place in the network.

No additional SLA advantages are gained in this case by delivering packets
the end node. In any case, if CRC check fails, how do we even know who the
end
node is? The MAC address may be corrupted, and we cannot rely on the MAC
value.
Source stripping also may not happen because source MAC address may have got
corrupted. If there was a chain of Ethernet switches sending packets from
Node A
to Node F, Node B doesn't forward the packet to the destination node,
because it
doesn't even know for sure who the destination node is. The packet may go
anywhere in the network, depending on what got corrupted in the L3 header (I
guess on ring networks you can make a case that even if things get
corrupted,
even a bad TTL value will eventually expire, so it doesn't hurt, but then I
don't think we're getting any benefits in doing so).

Also, inverting CRC, or setting a bit, or any other method doesn't help the
destination node determine which of the intermediate nodes found the CRC
error,
because the intermediate node hasn't inserted its node ID in the packet.

Please advise if you see any flaw in the logic here.

Regards,
Pankaj

"Angela T. Faber" wrote:

> Folks
>
> Please see the discussion below I was having with Robin. It was my fault
> that the group was not copied (I forgot!!)
>
> Angela

Even
> cut
> > > through  may store a complete packet due to contention..."
> > > Does it mean that CT also can process CRC before making a decision
> whether
> > > to discard or forward the frame? I know this CT vs. SF is very
debatable
> > > issue, but I'm just trying to understand if CRC checking is feasible
> also in
> > > CT...
> > >
> > > Thanks again!
> > >
> > > Angela

B,
> you
> > > will count the error in node B (for fault location purposes), and
insert
> the
> > > correct CRC inverted. Node C will then either see that 1) the CRC is
> > > inverted, that means there is no errors on the incoming link to C  or
2)
> the
> > > CRC is not inverted neither correct, that means that the error occured
> on
> > > Node Cs inbound link (C insertes the correct CRC inverted and node D
and
> > > may also be able to detect errors on the inbound link). Regardless,
the
> > > end-point E is still able to see that the packet is errored, hence
keep
> > > statistics per flow/customer if required.

> implement
> > > (since where will you put it) and does not yield the same level of
> coverage,
> > > since the packet can only be a part of erreror detection on one link
> (i.e.,
> > > the first link with an error).

> > > information is lost and can not be realted to any specific flow.
> However, si
> > > nce the header will be a percentage of the average packet size, the
> number
> > > of errored packets can be approximated with being proportinal to the
> number
> > > of detected error packets. If more precise bit-error rates are
required,
> > > some other mechanism is probably required since the packet size is
> variable.

> > > value
> > > already
> errors