RE: Fw: [RPRWG] CRC check in each node?

Angela,

Yes my point was that for ATM networks, SONET error performance
counters provides the underlying span management.  The ATM HEC
was not used to provide span management, but to prevent cell
misrouting.  We need similar mechanisms for RPR. RPR networks
utilizing SONET PHY can utilize SONET physical layer overhead
for span management, and an RPR header checksum (HEC) to prevent
RPR frame misrouting.  For RPR networks utilizing 1GbE, 10GbE PHY, the RPR
header checksum (HEC) prevents RPR frame misrouting, and an RPR frame check
on the data is used to
perform span management.

As previously mentioned on this thread there needs to be a way
of identifying an error in the data and only counting once on a
particular span.  Some have suggested having a payload error
indication bit in the RPR header.  The problem with using a
bit in the header, is this bit can not be transmitted until the last byte of
the frame is received and the CRC is calculated.  This precludes any sort of
cut-through implementation.  This error indication needs to be in the RPR
frame trailer or encoded in the CRC trailer.

	thanks,

	bob

Robert Castellano
Jedai Broadband Networks