RE: Fw: [RPRWG] CRC check in each node?

Hi,
I guess the argument boils down to:

a)link integrity (regeneration of crc at each hop regardless of whether the
previous crc was errored)
 vs
b)data correctness (maintain the original crc end to end and have higher
layers do a strip).

An orthogonal issue, that everybody accepts is that the rpr header nust be
protected independently
and that packets should be discarded when the header is corrupted.

option a) is SONET like, since it is regenerated per hop and is basically
information about a specific leg.

option b) is ATM-AAL5 like since it is end to end and is not manipulated
during transit.

My comments are that

1) it is complicated to implement a scheme that does a+b in one go
(stomp/invert crc etc)

2) HEC is probably enough to give us link integrity, and it is regenerated
at each hop anyway.

3) SONET link is on a much coarser scale than per packet (it is per sonet
frame).

4) If operator requirement for number of correct packets is a relevant
issue, then during encapsulation
RPR probably must add its own CRC and during de-capsulation (I mean when
packets leave the ring) CRC
should be checked. Is this really a requirement? Does ATM report how many
"correct" cells arrive?
We are talking about 1e-10 ber and beyond here.

5) There was an issue about "dark" fiber link integrity. I'd go with a
control(OAM) packet solution (say every X milliseconds)