[RPRWG] Comment Resolution on T&Ds

An outstanding job was done on the comment resolution process by Bob, Bob, and the Comment Resolution group.  Thank you for your dedication and hard work.  I have a number of minor comments on the proposed resolutions.  Each of my comments references the ballot comment number assigned by the data base.

Comment #

#11 - I propose changing the resolution to “allows stations to communicate”

#12  I propose you delete the word “time” from the proposed rewording so it becomes “The difference between…”

#20 – Class of Service can refer to more than delivery priority.  I agree with Leon’s comment and disagree with your apparent decision to not change the definition.

#21 – Your Proposed Accept does not state how you intend to change the definition since two choices were presented.  I recommend leaving the definition and changing the term defined to the singular (one of the two choices proposed).

#22 – Please add to the proposed resolution “use the singular consistently throughout the definitions unless there is a compelling reason to use the plural form.”  Adding that statement will clarify the reason for further changes not necessarily indicated in the comment resolutions so far.

#37 and #39– Please state which proposed resolution you intend to apply to each of these comments.

#43 – please clarify.  You state “replace transmission …” but the word transmission does not appear in the definition.  Please clarify what your proposed replacement text is.

#48 – My vote is to leave it “media”, not “medium” (in response to the question at the end of your proposed resolution).

#71 – Once you have deleted the word “successfully” then there is no need for the last sentence of the definition, which should now also be deleted.

#144 – You indicate that you will use the term “Service Class” but its definition is not contained in the Terms and Definitions.  Please state what that definition is.

#162 – The proposed resolution was accept.  However, you have not supplied the clause for “source stripping”.  Please do so.

#166 – Please state explicitly what changes you will make to the T&Ds based on this comment resolution.  I can’t tell.

#170 – I think Mike Takefman’s words are good ones and should be appended to the definition.

#194 – after making the change indicate the reference definition has been modified.

#203 – Also change the term defined to the singular, and drop “is” from “…is received”.

#229 – I request you avoid use of the acronym SDU and spell out the term.

#231 – This comment was rejected because no remedy was specified.  Not so: “Delete the phrase” was offered as one remedy.  If you don’t like that remedy, state why not.  I offer “A loose definition of LAN is intended here.  The present definition accomplishes that purpose.”

#238 – change “single staion or medium failure” to “media or single station failure.”  The sentence should make clear that more than a single fiber strand could be cut.  For example, there could be a cable cut, severing both ringlets.

#241 – Please explain why 802.3 was added to this definition.

#1001 – Please clarify what specific change you are proposing.

Best  Regards,

Robert D. Love
Chair, Resilient Packet Ring Alliance
President, LAN Connect Consultants