RE: [RPRWG] Why are current RPR proposals too complicated to be deplyed and maintained by service providers????

Alan,

I'm sorry that you were confused by the bridging presentation on Thursday.
The intent of the presentation was to give the 802.1 group
an overview of the various bridging methods that could be
deployed using 802.17.  We were looking for feedback from
802.1WG as to whether any of the methods posed a compatibility
issue with 802 / 802.1 architecture, and to answer scope questions
in areas of overlap.  Please keep in mind that the proposal
which is considered to be the simplest in meeting
transparent bridging compliance does not minimize flooding,
which you also indicate is an important requirement.
All of the proposals specify flooding of unknown/broadcast
traffic on the 802.17 ring, which is fundamental to maintaining
transparent bridging operation.  However; the simple bridging proposal
which was presented as part of bridging compliance floods
not only the unknown/broadcast, but the unicast traffic as
well.  If spatial reuse of the 802.17 ring is lost by virtue
of flooding traffic on every segment of the ring, there is
a serious deficiency with the standard.  No one is going
to deploy 802.17 in a network environment where every
frame is flooded on the ring.  If that is the case with
bridging, then why bother demonstrating compatibility
for something nobody is going to deploy.  Also, if every
frame is flooded on the ring, steering/wrapping don't
really matter because frames are transmitted to every station.
We also don't need to standardize the sophisticated access control methods
which are being proposed or solve any head-line blocking problems.
Without spatial reuse, the ring is blocking.

The 802.17 standard must define transmission/reception
procedures when operating with a transparent bridging
MAC client such that compatibility with transparent
bridging is preserved, and retaining all the spatial
reuse properties of the ring.

The only standard way today of employing customer separation for
transparent bridging is through 802.1Q VLANs.  The scope of
customer IDs is beyond the scope of 802.17 because it is used to govern
the behaviour of how packets are switched across multiple interfaces.
802.17 is a MAC not a switching protocol.  As such, it may have
to support a customer_ID parameter as part of its client interface
in the future, but it wouldn't define it.
If there is enough impetus to standardize customer separation IDs
then a new PAR should be raised.

My understanding is that ABR is deployed in carrier networks.  There
are some ATM switches which map other ATM traffic classes to ABR at
the edge to maintain tighter controls over traffic in the core of
the network.  The ABR flow control reduces buffering requirements
in the core and moves the buffering out to the edge where traffic
is dynamically shaped based on the ABR flow control.  In that case
ABR is not used as an end user service, but as a control technology
for the other more popular traffic classes.  Just because it's
not visible as a service, doesn't mean that it's not hard at work
for you.

Finally, 802.17 is defining a ring access protocol, not an end-end
protocol.  Many of the examples, you cited with ATM had to do with
ATM having to work across very large-scale networks and
topologies.  The scope is much more restricted for RPR and there
are several examples in operation today.  If we don't do
RPR, what do you recommend as the technology for building a ring?

	thanks,

	bob

Robert Castellano
Jedai Broadband Networks