RE: [RPRWG] 802.17 Outline: Stratum Clock distribution?

Jeanne,

Some physical layers have no provisions for accurately
synchronizing time-of-day clocks (GMT like clocks) of
clock slave's to clock masters.

For physical layers without such services, this clause
describes how such time-of-day clocks can be accurately
synchronized by MAC-level services.

From IEEE Std 1394 Serial Bus experiences, as well as
the telecom industry as a whole, the value of synchronous
transfers is greatly increased if time-of-day clocks
can also be synchronized.

DVJ

David V. James, PhD
Chief Architect