[RPRWG] Re: Question on IEEE-SA membership requirements

Italo and Vittorio, you have asked a good question to be answered on the
IEEE 802.17 reflector.  Therefore, I am taking the liberty of forwarding
both your question and my response to it.

Voting Rights for IEEE 802.17, and to LMSC Sponsor balloting

There are two levels of voting rights of interest to us as IEEE 802.17
participants.

    1) The right to vote within an IEEE 802 Working group, in our case
within IEEE 802.17.
Everyone who has satisfied meeting attendance requirements, paid their
meeting fees, and hasn't lost voting rights for other reasons, such as
failing to respond to two of the last three ballots, is eligible and
encouraged to vote on all IEEE 802.17 ballots. A list of voting members is
maintained and is posted on the Members Only section of the 802.17 web site.

    2) Once a draft passes the IEEE 802.17 ballot process and goes out to
sponsor level ballot, a ballot pool is formed from IEEE SA members who may
or may not have participated in IEEE 802.17.  To participate in the LMSC
Sponsor ballot of a draft you must be an IEEE SA member.  Being a balloter
in the sponsor ballot gives IEEE 802.17 members a second chance to get
comments in against the draft.  Normally the working group chair and editors
try to participate in this ballot to be able to submit comments based on any
late discoveries of problems with the wording of the draft.  Primarily, the
sponsor level ballot is run to bring in comments from people that have not
had a chance to directly participate in the development of the standard.

Best regards,

Robert D. Love
Chair, Resilient Packet Ring Alliance
President, LAN Connect Consultants
7105 Leveret Circle     Raleigh, NC 27615
Phone: 919 848-6773       Mobile: 919 810-7816
email: rdlove@xxxxxxxx          Fax: 208 978-1187